Having become disillusioned with downhill (too much standing around) & normal XC riding (too short!), I started getting into long distance rides such as the Merida Marathons in Wales and had found something I really enjoyed – the mix of endurance and being out there on your own really appealed to me. This lead to competing solo in the 2005 Mountain Mayhem and Sleepless in the Saddle – I will never forget the feeling of finishing my first solo 24-hour – what an amazing sense of achievement mixed with complete exhaustion! Back then, there was no way I could ride for the whole event, and a break was needed to overcome tiredness and hunger.
In 2007 I bumped into Jimmy & Alex at the Trans Scotland – a week-long stage race from Selkirk, across the Southern Upland Way and back again, taking in a few of the 7-stanes trails and a number of special stages along the way... I even managed to cross the line on one of the linking stages ahead of the rest of the field. Ever since then, I have been riding in MuleBar colours... something I am very proud to do.
In 2009, I found single-speeding! Since then, my riding skills and endurance have improved significantly... riding a bike with no gears and no suspension really makes you think about lines and carrying as much speed as possible through the technical bits and singletrack. My passion for single-speeds has meant that I no longer own a bike with gears, just a mix of single-speed or fixed road bikes, cross-bikes and mountain bikes.
* Eastern Express - My new favourite… nutty seedy lovely & something less sweet at last
* Jimmy's Choc Orange -
* 2010 Dusk ‘till Dawn – 3rd Overall
* 2011 Kielder 100 – 18th overall, 1st single-speed. One of the toughest events I have ever done, with less than 25% of entrants finishing the full 100 mile loop.
* 2012 Mountain Mayhem - 5th overall solo, 1st solo single-speed, winner of the Nick Wallis Single-speed Memorial trophy
* 2013 Mountain Mayhem – 2nd overall solo, 1st solo single-speed, retained the Nick Wallis Single-speed Memorial trophy
* 2014 Mountain Mayhem – 4th overall solo, 1st solo single-speed, retained the Nick Wallis Single-speed Memorial trophy, broke the 200-mile barrier and completed 210 miles and climbed 27500ft
* 2014 Torq 12:12 – 1st overall solo, 135 miles in 12 hours
* 2014 SSUK – 2nd overall (by a wheel!)